The apt package you need to install to use the capybara-webkit rubygem on ubuntu (tested on 10.04 and 11.10) is libqt4-dev. That is, to gem install capybara-webkit, you need to run aptitude install libqt4-dev.
OS X Lion comes with ruby 1.8.7-p249 installed, although it's compiled against libedit rather than libreadline. Whilst libedit is a mostly-compatible replacement for libreadline, I find there's a couple of settings I'm used to that don't work in libedit. (Like history-beginning-search-backward.)
Luckily you can grab the source of ruby and compile just the readline extension, and move it into the right place for it to just work. Here's what's been working for me:
# Install readline using homebrew
brew install readline
# Download the ruby source and check out 1.8.7-p249
mkdir ~/tmp &&cd ~/tmp
git clone git://github.com/ruby/ruby
git checkout v1_8_7_249
ruby extconf.rb --with-readline-dir=$(brew --prefix readline) --disable-libedit
Now you should have readline.bundle in the current directory, and it should be compiled against your homebrew-installed readline library, rather than libedit that comes with the system. We can quickly double-check that by using otool to check what the binary is linked against.
$ otool -L readline.bundle
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/libruby.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.8.0, current version 1.8.7)
/usr/local/Cellar/readline/6.2.2/lib/libreadline.6.2.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.2.0)
/usr/lib/libncurses.5.4.dylib (compatibility version 5.4.0, current version 5.4.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 159.1.0)
And in the output you should see a line listing "libreadline", and no lines listing "libedit". Which that shows, we've compiled it properly then. Now the bundle is built we need to move it into the right place so it's loaded when ruby is invoked.
RL_PATH="/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-darwin11.0"# Back up the original bundle, just in cases
sudo mv "$RL_PATH/readline.bundle""$RL_PATH/readline.bundle.libedit"
sudo mv readline.bundle "$RL_PATH/readline.bundle"
And that's it. You've got a proper compiled-against-readline installed ruby 1.8.7-p249 on 10.7 now.
One gotcha I ran into was needing to pass the same arguments to rvm when installing any other version of 1.8.7 on the same machine. Simple enough, just need to remember to do it though.
As of Xcode 4.2 Apple have stopped bundling GCC with it, shipping only the (mostly) compatible llvm-gcc binary instead. The suggested fix is to install GCC using the osx-gcc-installer project. However, I wanted to build and install it from source, which apple provides at http://opensource.apple.com/.
You should already have installed Xcode 4.2 from the app store, then basically the following steps are to grab the tarball from the 4.1 developer tools source, unpack & compile it, then install it into the right places.
Update 2016-07-03: I'd suggest just using homebrew to install this these days:
brew install homebrew/dupes/apple-gcc42
# Grab and unpack the tarball
mkdir ~/tmp &&cd ~/tmp
curl -O http://opensource.apple.com/tarballs/gcc/gcc-5666.3.tar.gz
tar zxf gcc-5666.3.tar.gz
# Setup some stuff it requires
mkdir -p build/obj build/dst build/sym
# And then build it. You should go make a cup of tea or five whilst this runs.
gnumake install RC_OS=macos RC_ARCHS='i386 x86_64'TARGETS='i386 x86_64'\SRCROOT=`pwd`OBJROOT=`pwd`/build/obj DSTROOT=`pwd`/build/dst \SYMROOT=`pwd`/build/sym
# And finally install it
sudo ditto build/dst /
And now you should have gcc-4.2 in your $PATH, available to build all the things that llvm-gcc fails to compile.
NB: Installing Ruby 1.9.1 through macports sudo port install ruby19 means I get ruby1.9, gem1.9 and rake1.9 installed alongside my usual 1.8 ruby, gem and rake.
That grabs the list of installed gems from gem, searches for lines containing "(" so it only grabs the gem names, spits out the first section of the line, which is the name of the gem, and finally calls gem1.9 install for each line via xargs -L 1. Make sure to run it as root or prefix gem1.9 with sudo. (Or let it install in your home folder, but I hate that.)
From my quick run of the above snippet, 75% of my gems installed (73 out of 98) and the other few that failed to install were ones like Hpricot that require native extensions compiling. You can see the entire list of failures and successes of the gems in this pastie
So, I keep having to reinstall mysql5 and rubygems from time to time for various reasons. I always install mysql5 through MacPorts as a dependency for the php5 port (along with various other bits for the LA*P stack).
sudo port install php5 +mysql5 +pear +readline +sockets +apache2 +sqlite
Once this is installed then I have mysql and can setup my databases, etc.
Ignoring the rest of the LAMP stack, I then need to connect Ruby to the Mysql I just installed through MacPorts. Its quite simple to do, once you know the right argument to pass to it. The easiest way is to just tell it where the mysql5_conf file is and let it figure out the rest for itself.
sudo gem install mysql -- --with-mysql-config=/opt/local/bin/mysql_config5
Hopefully this will save me 10 minutes of googling next time I need to do this!
I'm an idiot and typed the gem install command by hand, and ended up with --with-mysql-conf instead of --with-mysql-config. Updated now.
On Snow Leopard I needed to tell rubygems to install the gem as a 64-bit binary. Hattip to Philipp
sudo env ARCHFLAGS="-arch x86_64" gem install mysql -- \